Here's where you'll find the info and forms you need to:
register your little wiener dog for the big race
put your 21+ team in the running for the always-epic Durstig Games
secure your muscle-bound spot in the Steinheben Strongman Competition
sign up to run or walk in the annual OktoberFast 5K
volunteer for all kinds of awesome roles that help GermanFest rock year after year
Wiener Dog Races
The wiener dog races are always a crowd favorite!
Advance $25 registration gets you 1 ticket into GermanFest. Registration closes 10/11/17, you may sign up day of but will also need to purchase a ticket in to the event. By registering, all participants agree that they have read and agreed to the official rules and waiver.
This fun and friendly race (45-foot distance) is for dachshunds only. Enter your pup to compete for prizes!
The Wiener Dog Races will be run in 4 open heats on the hour. Heats consist of 2 to 4 races per heat (6 dogs per race, 18 dogs total per heat.) The winners of each race will race off to determine the winner of each heat.
All Racing Dogs Receive
- Entry to GermanFest
- All access pass to the Racers’ Paddock for R&R for our racers (tented area, water and treats provided)
- Treat bags with goodies from our sponsors including Shake Dog Salon! Check in to Germanfest on the Yelp app to snag a Yelp bandana for your pup!
The Weiner Dog Races will be run in 4 open heats based upon registration. Each heat will consist of races of up to 6 dogs per race and 18 dogs per heat; the winners of each race will go on to a final race to determine the winner and runner-up of each heat.
Race start times: 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00
The race will start with all dogs in position inside the starting gate. It is recommended that all dogs have 2 people to race: 1 as a releaser and 1 as a catcher. A tip for catchers: The closer a catcher is to the finish line, the more likely the dog will slow down before the finish line. Remember to stay back from the lines! Each dog is assigned on a first come, first serve basis.
The race track is approximately 10×45 feet. Handlers may use treats, toys, balls or stuffed animals to entice their dogs to the finish line.
Racers may choose to wait for their race in the Racers' Paddock, a tented area of relative quiet and rest for the dogs.
• Absolutely NO mishandling or physical abuse of the dogs will be tolerated. No exceptions.
• Only dachshunds are permitted to enter the race.
• All dogs must be at least 6 months of age or older. This is for the safety and health of the other dogs.
• Please keep your dog leashed or otherwise contained (carrier) when not racing.
• Judges are a pre-determined group of volunteers. No arguing with judges will be allowed.
• DO NOT leave dogs in your car. Event staff reserves the right to involve the proper authorities if an animal is deemed “at risk”.
• All dogs must be current on DHPP, rabies and (suggested) Bordatella vaccines. Parvo and Kennel cough are highly contagious to young and older dogs and can even affect a seemingly healthy dog on occasion. Racers will be required to furnish proof of current vaccines (receipt or certification from veterinarian).
• Participants agree to allow video/photo and any and all media publication of themselves and dogs by Athenaeum staff and representatives.
• Please use the provided dog “doodie” bags (or your own) and specific trash receptacle to clean up after your dog.
Any misconduct or failure to adhere to race rules will result in immediate disqualification with no refund.
Winning Dogs receive prizes!
Additional goodies provided by: (SPONSORS)
The Durstig Games
Looking for something fun and different to do with your friends? Get your 21+ team together for friendly, booze-themed competition at the Durstig Games (formerly Beer Games) at GermanFest.
- October 14, 2017 games begin at 2:00pm
- $150.00 fee per team
- Each team will consist of 5 members (genders don't matter)
- All members must be 21 or older to enter on a team
- A team name is required and dressing up is encouraged
Beer Stein Holding
Each competitor will be given 2 full steins. At the judge’s signal, contestants will lift their steins and hold them straight out at shoulder height. The competitor who is able to remain with their steins held in the same position the longest will win their heat.
After the 4 team members have been blindfolded, everyone will toast to their success with beer. After they have finished their toast, the blindfolded members will each take one of the Cow’s legs. The Sighter’s job is to direct them so that when they toss the the Cow, they knock down as many of the jugs as possible.
Beer Stein Relay
When the start signal is given, Runner 1 from each team can gather a total of 12 steins provided they can hold them which they will carry to a table at the opposite end of the course. Runner 1 will place their steins on the table and tap Runner 2 on their own team. This will continue with each runner until all runners have carried the steins. Runner 5 will pick up as many of the steins as they can hold and will carry them back to the opposite end of the course to cross the finish line.
Steinheben & Strongman Competition
DOWNLOAD REQUIRED REGISTRATION FORM AND WAIVER HERE
Calling all strong men and women! Think you’ve got muscle? Want to put it to the test? The Athenaeum Foundation is pleased to present three fantastic feats of strength!
- Registration will close on 10/11/17
- Pre-registration includes admission into GermanFest
- You may register the day of the event but will also have to purchase a ticket in to the event
- Lifting begins at 3:00pm
- Competition is for competitive and amateur lifters
This traditional Bavarian Stone Lift (Steinheben) Competition will let you show off your mettle! You have the option to sign up for the Steinheben for $20 or ALL THREE events for just $30:
Deadlift Style Competition
Overhead Keg Lift
Sponsored by Kemna Restoration and Construction, Inc.
DOWNLOAD REQUIRED REGISTRATION FORM AND WAIVER HERE
The OktoberFast 5K is a fun-filled run/walk that is part of Germanfest. The event is both competitive and non-competitive and will help kick of this year’s Germanfest at the Athenaeum, in downtown Indianapolis. All proceeds from this event benefit the maintenance and care of the Historic Athenaeum. Celebrate German-American Day with this unique family event. Expect great food, drink (including beer of course), live music, contests and games for everyone!
Everyone will receive a t-shirt, medal, a pint of craft beer at the finish and entrance into Germanfest!
“My family participated in OktoberFast 2016. We were excited about the event, as some of my family was planning to visit from Southern Indiana that weekend. We thought the race would be an excellent activity for the varying ages and athletic levels — and it doesn’t hurt that we are of German heritage! We have attended fFn-races events before and knew that costumes would not only be accepted, but encouraged. We were pleased when we arrived to see many other participants dressed in lederhosen and drindles! My daughter had spent a couple of weeks prior to race crocheting everyone German hats. What we really loved about the race was the festive atmosphere. Congregating in the Athenaeum before and after the race was very nice; and the beer at the finish line was a great incentive/reward for those 21 and over. We did attend the Germanfest afterward. We appreciated that admittance was included with the race. We had never seen dachshund race before and we were pretty impressed. At the end of race/fest, as we were walking to our car, my 8 year old nephew said it was the best day he’d ever had.” — Stacy Sanders
All volunteers get a free GermanFest ticket, including free parking nearby!
You can help make this amazing annual fundraising event great for everyone!
Available positions include:
- Volunteer Coordination
- Friday Setup
- Ticketing Booth
- Saturday Setup
- Wiener Dog Race
- Strongman Competition
- Durstig Games
- Beer Server
- Keep GermanFest Beautiful